Block Salons: Volume 1
‘Block Salons’ is an event series created by Travis Wallis, Co-Founder of Time Advisors to facilitate conversation amongst founders in the blockchain space. Less blockchain 101, more peer related/forum of conversation/fireside chat around current issues to foster community connection and growth.
- 5:30 PM Arrival
- 6:00 PM Paul Hainsworth (CEO, Open Garden)
- 7:00 PM Break
- 7:15 PM Gene Hoffmann (Advisor and investor in Chia Network, board member of both AEToken and CryptoSouk)
- 8:30 PM Break off and connect
About The Speakers:
- Paul Hainsworth: Paul has 15 years experience as a product management executive in mobile communications. Prior to Open Garden, Paul was an executive at BlackBerry, where he helped build BlackBerry’s developer ecosystem of over 40K participants. He has been a product leader at three mobile operators including Helio, Virgin Mobile and Sprint. He joined Open Garden to disrupt the mobile communications industry through crowdsourcing and peer to peer networking. Paul is the CEO of Open Garden, which is building a protocol that fundamentally changes how we connect to the Internet. The protocol enables people and businesses to share their Internet connection and earn OG, Open Garden’s cryptocurrency. It is building an ecosystem using the protocol, including its own app, an app developer ecosystem, WiFi networking gear, smartphones and traditional network operators. Our crypto stack is built on top of Stellar and enables direct peer to peer payments for connectivity, with no middleman required. He’ll discuss his experiences and challenges of building on top of Stellar, why Stellar, building a consumer focused decentralized app, decentralization vs centralization in digital currencies, and his views on how this will evolve.
- Gene Hoffman: Gene is a serial entrepreneur and former NASDAQ CEO. He has built and sold three companies to PGP, Inc., Vivendi-Universal, and most recently, Vindicia to Amdocs. He has raised over $150,000,000 in public and private markets, acquired four companies and sold three. Recognized by the San Francisco Business Times with the “40 under 40 Emerging Leaders Award” in 2012, Gene has deep experience with building companies that disrupt markets. As founder and CEO of EMusic.com, Mr. Hoffman was a highly visible advocate for the distribution of music on the Internet having been featured on the cover of Forbes Magazine as a member of the July 1999 E-Gang, and named one of the 100 most influential entrepreneurs in technology in Upside Magazine’s November 2000 Elite 100. Gene is currently an advisor and investor in Chia Network, a board member of both AEToken and CryptoSouk, and an advisor to Iris.tv, Riskpulse, Directly, and Apomaya. He will talk about the regulatory environment both in the US and around the world for ICO and ICO-like methods of raising funds for projects in the crypto currency world. He will also dive into mistaken views of the SEC and talk about the ways that the Jobs Act can change the way startups are raising money.